Why do my images take a long time to upload?
Are files taking a long time to upload via our system? Here's what can cause this and what to try to fix it.
What's going on?
It's likely you have a low upload speed but there are some other things to consider...
- Where your files are located i.e. an external drive, USB, cloud etc.
- Antivirus software (particularly Avast, Bitdefender and ESET)
- Browser extensions, toolbars and plugins e.g. ad blockers like 'Adblock'
How can I check my upload speed?
- Visit speedtest.net and click 'Go' to test your upload and download speeds.
- Take a screenshot of the results and email it to email@example.com.
What's a recommended upload speed?
Upload speed is measured in Megabits per second (Mbps). According to a 2020 Ofcom study, the average upload speed in the UK is 14 Mbps.
The lowest upload speed you want is around 3 Mbps, anything lower and files will take a long time to upload.
If your upload speed is low, contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to see if they can upgrade you to unthrottle your upload speeds!
What other things can I try?
- Files on an external hard drive or USB? Move them to your computer.
- Files 'smart-synced' in the cloud? Download them to your computer.
- Try switching to use a different browser.
- Try clearing your cache, more on this below.
- If you're on a corporate network, check with your IT person if there are any limitations for using certain websites like ours. Ask them to contact 0330 808 1616 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss further.