Why do my images take a long time to upload?
Are you trying to place an Image Enhancement or Video Slideshow order but it seems to be taking a very long time for files to upload to our system? Here's what can cause this and what to try to fix it.
What affects the upload speed?
If your images are taking ages to upload, it's likely you have a low upload speed but there are some other things to consider...
- The speed of your internet connection
- The number of images in the order
- The size of the images in the order
- Where your files are located i.e. what computer drive
- Antivirus software (particularly Avast, Bitdefender and ESET)
- Browser extensions, toolbars and plugins e.g. ad blockers like 'Adblock'
How can I check my upload speed?
- Visit speedtest.net and click 'Go' to test your upload and download speeds.
- Take a screenshot of the results and email it to email@example.com.
What is a recommended upload speed?
Upload speed is measured in Megabits per second (Mbps). According to a 2018 Ofcom study, the average upload speed in the UK is 6.2 Mbps.
An upload speed of 2 or 3 Mbps will be fine for sending your images to us, but even this is a little on the slow side. Anything below this and your order will take a long time to upload.
Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to see if they can unthrottle your upload speeds!
What other things can I try?
- If your files are on an external hard drive or USB stick, move them to your local drive before uploading.
- Make sure your files aren't open in another program while uploading.
- Disable any suspect browser extensions before uploading.
- Try using a different browser, e.g. if you're using Google Chrome, try using Firefox, Safari or Microsoft Edge.
- If you're on a corporate network, check with your IT person if there are any limitations for using certain websites like ours. Ask them to contact 0330 808 1616 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss further.
- Clearing your cache, more on this below.